I was first introduced to Pampered Chef about 6 years ago, while I was still in college. One of my friends had a Pampered Chef party, and since I enjoy cooking, I attended and had a blast. I came away from the party with my first clay baking stone - and I'm still using it today!
At the party, I also purchased a cookbook, 29 Minutes to Dinner
. Who needs 30 minutes to cook dinner, when you can do it in just 29?! ;) It was my go-to cookbook throughout my senior year of college... easy, simple recipes that were easy to prepare and pretty nutritious. I recently re-discovered the cookbook, and decided to share one of my favorite meals. Crunchy Chicken Bites
are bite-size pieces of chicken breast, coated in a crunchy whole grain chip coating, and baked until golden brown and crispy. They are served with a side of celery-carrot slaw and a homemade ranch dipping sauce.
First, make the dipping sauce by combining some sour cream, mayonnaise, and a tablespoon of ranch seasoning powder. This actually doubles as the dressing for the slaw as well. Set aside.
To prep the chicken, cut it into bite-size pieces, about 1-inch cubes. In a medium bowl, beat an egg white together with another tablespoon of the ranch seasoning powder. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and toss to coat evenly.
In a gallon-size zipper bag, combine 6 cups of whole grain chips (Sun Chips!) with the rest of the ranch seasoning powder and a bit of paprika. Crush the chips to smithereens and shake to combine everything. Add the chicken pieces to the bag, and shake to coat evenly.
Place the chicken pieces onto a baking stone or large baking sheet. Bake at 400*F for 14-16 minutes until golden brown and chicken juices run clear.
While chicken is baking, prepare the rest of the slaw. Combine thinly sliced celery and carrot with about half the dipping sauce from earlier. Add a bit of gorgonzola cheese and mix to combine.
Such a quick & easy meal! The chicken stays nice & juicy, while the Sun Chips give them a bit of a crunch. The carrot-celery slaw adds a nice contrast on the side. I am thinking they'd be even better with the cheesy Sun Chips! Yum!
Crunchy Whole Grain Chicken Bites
Yield: 3-4 servings
- For the dressing & slaw:
- ½ cup reduced fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1-oz package powdered ranch seasoning, divided
- 5 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 10-12 baby carrots, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup gorgonzola cheese
- For the chicken bites:
- 1-lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 egg white
- 6 cups whole-grain chips, such as Sun Chips
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
1. Preheat oven to 400*F. For dressing, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, and 1 tablespoon ranch seasoning mix. Set aside.
2. Whisk together egg white with 1 tablespoon ranch seasoning mix in a medium bowl. Add chicken pieces, and mix to combine.
3. Add chips to large gallon-size freezer bag with remaining ranch seasoning mix and paprika. Crush chips and mix to combine. Add chicken pieces to bag and shake to coat evenly.
4. Place coated chicken pieces on baking stone or baking sheet. Bake at 400*F for 14-16 minutes until golden brown and chicken juices run clear.
5. Prepare slaw by combine about half the dressing with celery, carrots, and gorgonzola cheese. Serve chicken bites with remaining dressing (to dip) and slaw.
Source: adapted from Pampered Chef 29 Minutes to Dinner