Lunch can sometimes be the most frustrating meal of the day. I work from home (which is great!), but I don't always want to take the time to cook myself lunch. If I take too long of a 'lunch break', I have a hard time getting back into the groove of working. So, usually I whip up a quick sandwich or salad. But a girl can only eat so many turkey sandwiches before going crazy!
Today's recipe makes a great lunch option - Spicy Peanut Chicken Noodle Salad.
With just a little prep time on the weekend, you can have a quick and healthy meal ready to scoop and serve. It's got a great mix of carbs, protein, veggies, and a little fat from the peanut sauce. The creamy sauce is full of nutty and spicy flavor, perfect for coating the noodles and the chicken.
Get started by boiling the fettuccine noodles according to the package directions. Then, slice your bell peppers, one each of the red, yellow, and green varieties. I like to slice them very thin so they are similar texture to the noodles.
Then, prep the chicken. If you have leftover chicken from a recipe, use that! I grilled up some chicken tenders, but you could just as easily pick up a rotisserie chicken or the ready-grilled chicken strips in the refrigerated section.
Now, the sauce. In a food processor or blender, combine peanut butter, water, sesame oil, soy sauce, white vinegar, honey, half a jalapeno, and a few garlic cloves.Whirl it around until it's completely smooth. Then add a handful of roasted peanuts, whirling until it's a consistency you like. I like mine a little chunky.
All that's left to do is toss everything together! Noodles, peppers, chicken, and sauce.
Store it in the refrigerator for a quick lunch option or an easy dinner side.
Spicy Peanut Chicken Noodle Salad
Servings/Yield: 8-10 servings
- 12-oz fettuccine noodles, (about 3/4 of a 1-lb box)
- 1-1¼ lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked & diced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼-½ cup fresh basil, minced
- ¼-½ cup fresh cilantro, minced
- For the peanut sauce:
- 5 tablespoons peanut butter
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½-1 jalapeno pepper , minced
- ½ cup peanuts
1. Boil fettuccine noodles according to package instructions. Rinse with cold water after draining.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the peanut sauce. Combine the peanut butter, soy sauce, water, sesame oil, honey, vinegar, minced garlic, and minced jalapeño in a food processor. Process until smooth. Add in 1/2 cup peanuts and pulse until it reaches your desired consistency. (I like mine a little chunky.)
3. In a large bowl, combine cooked noodles, chicken, sliced peppers, peanut sauce, basil, and cilantro. Mix thoroughly. Store in refrigerator 1-2 hours before serving. Serve chilled.
Source: adapted from Pinch of Yum