Peaches are perfectly in season right now... I am craving a good slice of peach pie! My mother-in-law makes one with sour cream that is to die for. My other favorite way to enjoy peaches is diced up over the top of a bowl of vanilla Greek yogurt sprinkled with some granola.
I thought I'd step out of the typical 'sweet' flavor profile box associated with peaches and take a walk on the savory side. I've combined peaches with gorgonzola before with great success, so I figured mozzarella would have to be good as well! Caramelized Peach Caprese Salad
takes sweet, juicy peaches, and layers them with fresh sliced mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil leaves. It's all drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and just a touch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Such a great combination of textures and flavors - sweet and salty, soft and a little bit of crispy from the snap of the peach skin. This dish makes a great little appetizer or side salad, or a nice light lunch.
Start by caramelizing the peaches. This brings out the sweet flavor, especially if they aren't quite perfectly ripe. (Does anybody else think it's nearly impossible to find a perfectly ripe peach?) Just melt a little butter in a saucepan, sprinkle the peach slices with brown sugar, and cook over medium heat about 3 minutes per side, until juicy and bubbly.
Then, just layer the peach slices with slices of fresh mozzarella cheese and basil leaves. You can get as creative as you want with the presentation... I went with a classic circle.
Give it a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. It's quite impressive for a dish that comes together so quickly - I think I spent maybe 10 minutes start to finish. Enjoy!
If you're a big caprese fan, be sure to check out this Grilled Steak Caprese Salad
... one of my summer favorites!
Caramelized Peach Caprese Salad
Yield: 1-2 servings (for more servings, simply increase quantities)
- 2-3 fresh peaches, sliced 1/4-1/2-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 6-oz fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 10-12 fresh basil leaves
- olive oil, to taste
- balsamic vinegar, to taste
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle peach slices with brown sugar. Caramelize peach slices in butter until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
2. On serving plate, layer peach slice, mozzarella, and basil; repeat. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Source: How Sweet It Is