It's getting to be that time of year... the end of summer is approaching! As school goes back into swing, aren't we all in need of some quick & easy recipe to fuel us through those busy evenings? Although I don't have kids (yet), the slow cooker is one of my favorite tools for getting a meal on the table on busy nights.
Speaking of children, I don't have any yet, but am expecting my first this fall! My husband and I will welcome a baby boy into our family sometime in November. Though I haven't had a TON of pregnancy cravings, I have had a major one - macaroni and cheese! Anything from boxed Velveeta shells & cheese to homemade versions cooked on the stovetop to deep-fried mac & cheese bites (for real). I have been on a mission to try a new macaroni and cheese recipe each week. My mother-in-law has a great recipe for Slow Cooked Mac & Cheese
, so I thought it'd be perfect to share on the blog for those busy nights or big potlucks.
This thick & creamy mac & cheese is almost like a casserole. The noodles and cheese sauce are ooey gooey, but you still get that wonderful crust along the edges and on the top. It's also really quick to mix up, less than 10 minutes!
One thing you need a lot of - CHEESE. This is about 1 pound of freshly grated cheese - a mix of cheddar and American. Use your favorite, but I think the American gives a very homey taste.
To make the mac & cheese, simply layer the following in your slow cooker: butter, cooked pasta shapes, and a mixture of grated cheese, eggs, evaporated milk, milk, and condensed cheddar cheese soup.
Mix it all together, and let it cook on low!
During the last 15 minutes, sprinkle on a little extra cheese, and let it melt before serving.
It makes a great main dish (with some hot dogs, anyone?) or a tasty side dish to any meal.
Slow Cooked Mac & Cheese
Servings/Yield: 6-8 servings
- 16-oz small pasta shapes (shells or elbows)
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 12-oz can evaporated milk
- 10-¾-oz can condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 8-oz cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 8-oz American cheese, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon salt, (plus more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon pepper, (plus more to taste)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, subtracting 2 minutes from cooking time; drain. Place butter and pasta in a large slow cooker.
2. In a large bowl, combine eggs, evaporated milk, soup, milk, and all but 1/2 cup cheese. Pour over pasta mixture; stir to combine. Cover and cook on low 3-4 hours. (If you need to serve it past this time, switch slow cooker to ‘warm’.)
3. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; cook 15 minutes more until the cheese melts.
adapted from a family favorite