Slow Cooker Italian Sausage & Peppers
Servings/Yield: 8-10 servings
- 3 lbs sweet or hot Italian sausage links
- 2 sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 3 bell peppers , thinly sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 28-oz can tomato sauce
- 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (if desired)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh basil, finely chopped
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of vegetable oil. Cut Italian sausage links into thirds. Place half the sausage pieces in the pan; brown about 2-3 minutes on each side. Repeat with remaining sausages. Place the sausages in the bowl of a slow cooker.
2. Add another drizzle of vegetable oil to the pan; add the sliced onion. Season with salt & pepper and cook 3-4 minutes until crisp tender. Add to sausages in slow cooker.
3. Add the sliced bell pepper to the pan; cook 3-4 minutes until crisp tender. Add minced garlic and cook 1 minute more until fragrant. Add to onions in slow cooker.
4. Pour tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes over sausages and vegetables in the slow cooker. Add Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper flakes if desired. Cook on low 5-6 hours until Italian sausage is tender.
5. Just before serving, stir in Parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Serve with pasta or on toasted buns with provolone cheese.
Source: adapted from Iowa Girl Eats