Yield: 12-15 croissants
- 12-15 small day-old croissants
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- powdered sugar, for garnish
- For the syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- For the almond cream
- ⅔ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- ½ cup sugar
- pinch salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
1. For the syrup, combine 2 tablespoons sugar, water, and vanilla extract in a small microwaveable dish. Microwave on high 1 minute until sugar dissolves. Stir, and set aside.
2. For the almond cream filling, combine 1/2 cup sugar, 2/3 cup almonds, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely ground. Add the softened butter, and mix again until well-blended. Add the eggs; pulse on high speed until creamy and fluffy.
3. Preheat oven to 350*F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
4. Slice each croissant in half sandwich style. Dip each half of the croissant quickly in the syrup, just a light coating. Place on baking sheet. Spread 1-2 tablespoons of the almond cream on the bottom half of the croissant; place top half onto bottom half. Spread another tablespoon of almond cream on top. Repeat with remaining croissants.
5. Sprinkle sliced almonds over the top of all the croissant sandwiches. Bake at 350*F for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown and toasted. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve warm.
Source: adapted from Natasha's Kitchen