Quinoa, Roasted Squash, and Apple Salad with Cumin Vinaigrette
Servings/Yield: 6 servings
- For the vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½-1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼-½ teaspoon chili powder
- dash ground cinnamon
- dash ground allspice
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- For the salad:
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1¼ cups whole-grain quinoa
- 4-5 cups peeled & cubed butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 large Honeycrisp apple, diced
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ¾ cup toasted chopped pecans
- 6-8 cups baby spinach
1. For the vinaigrette, combine all ingredients in a jar or container with lid. Shake until well-combined. Set aside.
2. For the salad, roast the butternut squash. Preheat oven to 400*F. Place squash cubes in a 9x13-inch pan. Toss with olive oil, salt, black pepper, and cumin. Roast 30-40 minutes until tender, stirring every few minutes. Set aside.
3. While squash is roasting, prepare the quinoa. Bring vegetable or chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan; add quinoa. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes until quinoa is tender. Remove from heat and let quinoa stand, covered, 5-10 minutes; then fluff with a fork.
4. To make salad, place baby spinach in bottom of large bowl. Pour warm quinoa and squash over spinach; add diced apple, dried cherries, and walnut pieces. Let sit 5 minutes to wilt the spinach. Pour vinaigrette over the salad and toss to combine.
Source: adapted from Giada De Laurentiis