The BIG GAME is this weekend, and that means it's time to get those slow cookers out! It seems like whenever we watch football with friends, there's always a whole slew of slow cookers lined up, each containing their own delicious food. Chili, queso, sloppy joes, spinach artichoke dip, the list goes on and on!
Today I've got a great recipe for your slow cooker - Shredded Buffalo Chicken
! This chicken has all the flavor of classic buffalo wings, but without all the extra fat and calories from the breading and deep frying. It's tasty served on a bun, wrapped up in a tortilla, or served up as a crunchy lettuce wrap. It's really easy to prepare, too, and the leftovers reheat wonderfully. We've actually had it twice in the last 2 weeks! (The first time, we gobbled it up so quick that I never even took any pictures.)
To get the chicken started, combine the following in your slow cooker: boneless skinless chicken breasts, a celery stalk, minced garlic, diced onion, and some chicken broth. Let it cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours; then, remove and shred.
Discard the celery and all but about 1/2 cup of the broth mixture. Add the chicken back to the slow cooker and add 1/2 cup of your favorite buffalo wing sauce. Mix to combine, and cook another 30-60 minutes on high to let the chicken soak up the hot sauce.
Enjoy on buns, or in lettuce wraps! Top the chicken with your favorite dressing (ranch or blue cheese), crumbled gorgonzola cheese, and shredded carrots. We liked this meal both ways, but I will admit that my husband preferred the sandwich buns. However, I really enjoyed the contrast of the crisp lettuce and the spicy chicken. The lettuce wraps are a great low-carb option!
Slow Cooker Shredded Buffalo Chicken
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup Frank's Hot Buffalo Wing sauce
- For serving
- Bibb lettuce leafs or buns
- crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- shredded carrots
- ranch dressing
1. Place chicken in slow cooker along with celery stalk, garlic, onion, and chicken broth. Cover; and cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.
2. Remove chicken and shred. Discard celery and all but 1/2 cup chicken broth mixture. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and add 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce. Cook 30 minutes more on high.
3. Serve in lettuce leaves or on buns, topped with gorgonzola, shredded carrots, and ranch dressing.
Source: adapted from skinnytaste.com