Servings/Yield: 4-6 servings
- For the lentils:
- 1 cup uncooked lentils, rinsed
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 30-oz can enchilada sauce
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For the cheese sauce:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups freshly grated cheese, (mix of monterey jack & pepper jack)
- To assemble the nachos:
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- your favorite salsa
- shredded lettuce
- chopped avocado
- chopped tomato
- chopped cilantro
1. Bring the enchilada sauce and vegetable stock to a simmer in a large saucepan. Add lentils & quinoa; simmer 45-60 minutes until lentils are soft and have absorbed most of the liquid.
2. When the lentils are almost soft, start the cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the flour; whisk to combine. Cook 2-3 minutes until it turns brown. Slowly whisk in the milk; cook, whisking constantly until the mixture has thickened. Remove from the heat and add the freshly grated cheese one handful at a time. Whisk between each addition to melt the cheese. Add the salt and whisk until smooth.
3. To assemble nachos, pour nachos on a plate or platter. Top with lentil mixture, and drizzle with cheese sauce. Top with salsa, shredded lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, and fresh cilantro.
Source: adapted from Pinch of Yum