Quick weeknight meals are a must
in my household. My husband usually gets home from work between 6:30-7pm, and we need to eat quickly before our 8-month old goes into complete cranky mode before bed!
For this reason, we love to make variations on sandwiches for dinner. Every once in awhile, it's the typical turkey and cheese, but we like to spice it up with oven-baked subs, quesadillas, grilled paninis, and open-faced flatbreads.
Usually, when we're dong paninis, we find the crustiest sourdough bread we can get our hands on, but I decided to switch it up and try a wrap on the panini grill. It was awesome! I took advantage of the fresh basil in my garden, and whipped up these Grilled Basil Caprese Chicken Wraps
. Grilled chicken breast, fresh sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, and an herby cream cheese spread are all wrapped up and grilled until warm and melty. The cheese is gooey, the wrap is nice and toasted, and you can never go wrong with the classic caprese pairing.
We used fresh grilled chicken (with a basil herb rub), but you could easily use any leftover chicken or pick up a rotisserie chicken to keep it simple.
To make the herby cream cheese, combine some cream cheese, basil leaves, garlic, and Parmesan cheese in a food processor and give it a whirl. (You could also mix this by hand, just make sure you dice your basil super fine.)
To assemble the sandwiches, spread the cream cheese down the center of a flour tortilla or wrap. (We did a mix of flour tortilla and gluten free wraps for a guest who needed to eat GF.) Top with thinly sliced tomatoes, chicken, fresh mozzarella, and additional basil.
We love these little fresh mozzarella balls that you can find in the specialty cheese section. They also make a great little salad when combined with fresh diced tomatoes, cucumber, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
Fold up your wraps and place them on your panini press or griddle. Cook until golden brown, and dig in!
Grilled Basil Caprese Chicken Wraps
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons basil herb rub
- 3-4 fresh tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4-6 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, (sliced or balls)
- 2-3 oz grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup light cream cheese
- 1½ cups loosely packed basil leaves, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4-6 large flour tortillas
1. Preheat grill to medium high. Coat chicken on all sides with basil herb rub. Grill on preheated grill 4-5 minutes until chicken reaches 165*F. Remove from grill and rest 5 minutes before slicing into strips.
2. Preheat panini press or griddle to medium heat.
3. To make the herby cream cheese, combine cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, 1 cup basil leaves, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until basil is finely chopped and the mixture is pretty smooth. Finely chop or chiffonade the remaining basil and set aside.
4. To assemble each wrap, spread the center with the herby cream cheese. Top with 4-5 thin slices tomato, strips of chicken, mozzarella cheese, and remaining chopped basil. Fold wrap to enclose ingredients.
5. Place wrap on panini press or griddle, and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown and cheese is melted. Let sit 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
adapted from Pampered Chef