Pimento CheeseburgersSource: Annie's Eats
- For the pimento cheese topping
- 4-oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (light is fine)
- 1 tablespoon diced pimentos
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper, to taste
- For the burgers
- 1½ lbs. ground sirloin
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1-2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- To serve
- burger buns
Hawaiian Beef BurgersSource: Adapted from Taste of Home
- 20-oz. can unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 4 (one package) Hawaiian hamburger rolls
- 6 slices bacon, cooked until crispy and sliced in half
- feta cheese
Balsamic Peach Chicken Skillet
(adapted from CookingClassy.com)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 4 (5 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 1/4 lbs chicken breast tenderloins
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 cups sliced firm but ripe peaches (about 2 medium)
- 1 (14.5) oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced basil ribbons
DirectionsHeat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute 3 minutes then push far to the side. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper and cook until golden, about 2 1/2 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet and transfer to a plate, while leaving oil and onions in skillet (if you don't have much oil left you can add another 1/2 Tbsp). Add garlic to skillet and saute 20 seconds (you can push onions back to center if you haven't already). Add balsamic vinegar and cook and stir until reduced by half, about 1 minute. Stir in honey then add in peaches and tomatoes and toss, season lightly with salt and pepper. Return chicken to skillet, nestling between peaches and tomatoes (you can lift some of the peaches and tomatoes over the chicken to create more room), cover skillet with lid, reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer until chicken has cooked through (it should register 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer), about 6 - 9 minutes. Top with fresh basil and serve warm.
Strawberry Crumb Bars 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon salt 3 cups flour 1 cup cold butter, cut into pieces 1 egg, beaten 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped 1/2 cup sugar 4 teaspoons corn starch Preheat oven to 375. Grease (or line with foil) a 9 x 13 pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, baking powder, salt, and flour. Cut in the butter using two knives or a pastry blender, until pieces are no bigger than pea sized. Stir in the egg to form a crumbly dough. Pat half of the dough in an even layer in the prepared pan. In a medium bowl, toss the strawberries with the 1/2 cup sugar and corn starch, then spread the strawberry mixture on top of the dough in the pan. Crumble the remaining dough evenly over the strawberry layer. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool before slicing and serving.
Grilled Summer Corn & Tomato Salad
- melted butter or butter spray
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 ears corn-on-the-cob husked
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves loosely packed, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
Easy Eats - Bottom Round Roast with Onion Gravy
Adapted from AllRecipes.com
- 6 onions slice
- 1 4 lb bottom round roast
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- Place sliced onions in the bottom of a Dutch oven or stock pot. Season the roast with salt and pepper, and place on top of the onions. Add the vinegar and bay leaf to the pan, and heat over high heat to get it simmering. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 3 to 4 hours. Try not to take the lid off while cooking.
- When the roast is done, remove it from the pan to a serving platter. Mix the flour into the water, and pour into the drippings from the roast. Simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently until thickened. Carve roast, and serve with the pan gravy.
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 cup onions diced
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsps Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsps ketchup
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp pickle relish
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tbsps water
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 4 red bell peppers large
- Cook rice and set aside. Cut off the top of 4 bell peppers about 1-inch down from top. Clean out seeds and membranes. Throw away the tops.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large nonstick pan, brown ground beef and onions. Season beef with a little salt and pepper. Be sure to break up ground beef into small pieces as it cooks.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, pickle relish, tomato sauce and 3 tablespoons water. Mix well. Stir in ¾ cup shredded cheese and cooked rice. Mix well and continue to cook until heated through. Add 1-2 more tablespoons of water, if getting a little dry. Remove from heat.
- Stuff each bell pepper with ground beef mixture, top each stuffed pepper with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese. Place each in a 9-inch baking dish. Pour 1 cup water in bottom of baking dish. Cover dish with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes. If peppers are not soft enough, cook about 5 minutes more.
Easy Eats - Roasted Chicken Breasts with Lemon, Garlic & Rosemary
Adapted from thecafesucrefarine.com
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 tsps kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Early in the day (at least 4 hours in advance) mix the rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice and olive oil together in a small bowl. Rinse the chicken breasts and pat them dry. Press the rosemary mixture into the flesh of the chicken on all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F and put a rack in the middle position. I like to line my sheet pan with foil to make clean-up easy.
- Place the chicken breasts on a shallow roasting pan skin side down. Roast for 15 minutes, then turn the breasts skin side up. Continue roasting until the breasts reach 160˚F* in the thickest part, another 15-30 minutes. If breasts vary greatly in size you may need to remove the smaller ones 5 minutes before the larger ones. Cover chicken with foil and allow to rest, loosely covered with foil, for 5 minutes before serving.
Pork Chops with Roasted Apples and Brussels Sprouts
Adapted from MyRecipes.com
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsps light brown sugar divided
- 2 tsps rosemary divided
- 1 tsp kosher salt divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper divided
- 4 pork chops 1 in. thick
- 3 tbsps + 2 tsps olive oil divided
- 3 tbsps apple cider vinegar
- 1 Gala apple cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- 1 lb. Brussels Sprouts trimme and cut in half
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425°. Stir together first 5 ingredients, 1 Tbsp. brown sugar, 1 tsp. rosemary, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper in a small bowl. Rub each pork chop with 1/2 tsp. olive oil; rub both sides of each pork chop with brown sugar mixture (about 2 tsp. on each chop).
- Whisk together apple cider vinegar and remaining 2 Tbsp. brown sugar, 1 tsp. rosemary, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper in a small bowl; slowly whisk in remaining 3 Tbsp. olive oil until blended. Place apples, Brussels sprouts, and 1/4 cup vinegar mixture in a large bowl, and toss to coat.
- Place pork chops in center of a lightly greased (with cooking spray) heavy-duty aluminum foil-lined sheet pan; place apple mixture around pork chops.
- Bake at 425° for 12 minutes; turn pork chops over, and bake 10 to 14 minutes more or until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 140°. Transfer pork chops to a serving platter, and cover with foil to keep warm. Stir apple mixture in sheet pan, and spread into an even layer.
- Increase oven temperature to broil, and broil apple mixture 3 to 4 minutes or until browned and slightly charred. Transfer apple mixture to a medium bowl. Toss together apple mixture and remaining vinegar mixture. Season with kosher salt, and serve with pork chops.