My husband and I have decided to start eating a bit healthier... we have been both lacking energy, and too often we turn to sugar for quick fuel. Which gives us energy for a short period, but then CRASH! We looked into doing the Whole 30 plan, but I'm not sure I can completely give up all grains, dairy, and sugar! So, our solution is simply this - incorporate more fruits, vegetables, and whole foods into our diet on a daily basis, and get rid of as much processed stuff as we can.
I stumbled upon a recipe for Loaded Sweet Potato Nachos
, and decided to give it a try. Sweet potato rounds are roasted until crispy, then topped with all your favorite nacho toppings. We kept it meatless, and went with black beans, cheese, avocado, green onions, and cilantro.
I'm not going to lie, I was pretty hesitant. We both figured we'd be looking for a bowl of cereal or a grilled cheese after this meal. But it was a hit! The sweet potatoes are seasoned with Mexican spices, and while they don't get as crispy as regular tortilla chips, they're pretty darn close! If you like sweet potato fries, you'll love this version of nachos.
Start with your sweet potatoes. Slice them as thin as you can, and toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne. Spread them into a single layer on a baking sheet or two.
[caption id="attachment_4602" align="aligncenter" width="331"]
Roast them at 400*F for 20 minutes; then flip and roast an additional 10-15 minutes, until the potato rounds are crispy.
[caption id="attachment_4603" align="aligncenter" width="310"]
Top with the cheese and black beans, and roast another 5-7 minutes until the cheese melts. (Seasoned ground beef or pulled chicken would also be really good here.)
[caption id="attachment_4604" align="aligncenter" width="288"]
Lots of cheese please![/caption]
Top with green onions, cilantro, and avocado. Serve with salsa and sour cream!
[caption id="attachment_4606" align="aligncenter" width="360"]
Salsa & sour cream[/caption]
Loaded Sweet Potato Nachos
Yield: 2-3 main dish servings
- 3 large sweet potatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½-1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼-½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½-1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1½-2 cups freshly grated cheese, (cheddar, mozzarella, or monterey jack)
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 2-3 green onions, diced
- ½ cup minced fresh cilantro
- sour cream, for serving
- salsa, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 400*F. Toss sweet potatoes with olive oil and seasonings. Spread into a single layer on a baking sheet (or two). Roast in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Flip; roast an additional 10-15 minutes until crispy.
2. Combine all sweet potato rounds onto one baking sheet. Top with black beans and cheese; roast another 5-7 minutes until cheese melts.
3. Remove from oven, and top with avocado, green onions, and cilantro. Serve with sour cream and salsa.
Source: adapted from Two Peas and their Pod