Since I work from home, I have my daily TV line-up. (No judgment... I'm not really
watching... it's just on for background noise while I bake.) First it's the Today Show, then Kathie Lee & Hoda, Rachael Ray, the 12pm news and finally, the Chew.
A few months ago, Rachael Ray had some guest cookbook authors on the show - Matt Holloway and Michelle Davis, authors of Thug Kitchen
. They were friendly and fun, and made a few delicious dishes on the show, so I put the cookbook on my Christmas list.
Fast forward a few months, and I finally made my first recipe from the book! What I didn't realize is that the entire book is VEGAN! (So not me.) However, several of the recipes have still caught my eye, especially these Sriracha-Roasted Cauliflower Bites with Peanut Dipping Sauce.
I love anything buffalo-flavored, and figured these would be right up my alley. While they didn't quite replicate buffalo wings exactly
, they did have the same flavors, just with an Asian twist!
Start by preparing the cauliflower. Toss bite-size cauliflower pieces in a batter of flour and water and spread on a baking sheet. Roast at 450*F for 15 minutes until tender.
Meanwhile, make the hot sauce - a mixture of Sriracha, olive oil, soy sauce, and rice vinegar.
Once the cauliflower has roasted, toss it in the hot sauce and return it to the pan to roast an additional 5 minutes or so. This is where it gets nice and crispy!
Finally, make the dipping sauce - just a mix of peanut butter, water, lime juice, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and honey.
Serve the warm cauliflower with the peanut dipping sauce. The creamy cool dipping sauce is a great contrast to the spicy cauliflower. (Just a warning - it's HOT! If you don't do spicy very well, definitely use the lesser amount of Sriracha sauce.)
Sriracha-Roasted Cauliflower Bites
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ to ½ cup Sriracha hot sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- For the peanut dipping sauce:
- 6 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
1. Preheat the oven to 450*F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour and water until no lumps remain. Toss cauliflower pieces in flour mixture; spread into a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Roast at 450*F for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the hot sauce by combining olive oil, Sriracha, rice vinegar, and soy sauce in a large bowl until smooth.
4. While the cauliflower is roasting, make the peanut dipping sauce. Place peanut butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave 30-45 seconds until melted. Add water, rice vinegar, lime juice, ginger, soy sauce, and honey. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.
5. Once cauliflower has roasted 15 minutes, remove it from the oven and add to the large bowl with the hot sauce. Toss until the cauliflower is coated, and return it to the baking sheet. (Leave the excess sauce behind.) Roast an additional 3-5 minutes. Serve cauliflower bites with peanut dipping sauce.
Source: adapted from Thug Kitchen