Lately, I've been doing a bit of meal prep on the weekend to get us ready for the upcoming week. Whether that's washing and cutting vegetables, making a loaf of bread or muffins, or simply shredding the meat off a rotisserie chicken for quick sandwiches and salads for lunch, it makes life so much smoother during the week!
Once in awhile, I'll whip up a pasta salad or rice dish that's easy to grab and eat quickly for lunch, and this Mediterranean Chicken Quinoa Salad is my new favorite! Quinoa is a high-protein gluten-free grain that is a great substitute for rice, couscous, or pasta.
In this dish, it's combined with freshly grilled chicken, cucumbers, tomatoes, Greek olives, and crumbled feta cheese. A pop of fresh lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil make it a complete meal in a bowl. My husband and I both loved this dish. It's so fresh, and the feta cheese adds just the right amount of tang. Our little 9-month-old James gobbled it right up, too!
It's pretty simple, too. The worst part is probably chopping all the vegetables. The veggies: tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, and kalamata olives.
Once you've cooked up your quinoa and grilled the chicken, just mix it all together!
Mediterranean Chicken Quinoa Salad
Servings/Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cucumber, finely diced
- 1½ cups grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ½ cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- For the chicken:
- 1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- garlic powder
- salt & fresh ground pepper pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1. To prepare the chicken, season liberally with oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil. Let marinate 30 minutes up to 4 hours.
2. Begin by rinsing quinoa in a fine mesh strainer with cold water. Place quinoa and chicken stock in a saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. Cover, and reduce to a simmer; simmer 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit 5 minutes with the lid still on. Remove lid and fluff with a fork.
3. While quinoa is simmering, prepare the grill or grill pan to medium high. Place marinated chicken and cook 5 minutes on each side, until chicken is tender. Remove to cool; then dice into small cubes.
4. In a large serving bowl, combine cooked quinoa, grilled chicken pieces, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, and olives. Stir to combine. Add olive oil, lemon juice, and feta cheese; stir again until combined. Serve warm, or prepare in advance to serve cold. Delicious with some pita bread and hummus on the side.
Source: adapted from SkinnyTaste